The Inter-War Period
Formed in April 1922 from the amalgamation of the 15th Hussars (two squadrons) and the 19th Hussars (one squadron) resulting in a two squadron Cavalry Regiment.
The Second World War
As a unit of the Royal Armoured Corps, it used the Vickers machine guns that equipped the light and medium tanks in the early stages of the War. When these were replaced, its association with the Vickers machine gun ceased.
Due to the poor availability of armoured vehicles and tanks at the start of the Second World War, some units were formed to create Motor Machine Gun Brigades. This unit joined the 3rd MMG Bde on 23 June 1940 and remained with it under reorganised as the 28th Armoured Brigade on 01 December 1940.
- Joslen, 1960
- The National Archives, WO 123/64 Army Orders 1922.