The Life Guards was formed from the 1st Life Guards and the 2nd Life Guards in 1922. It was initially designated “The Life Guards (1st and 2nd)” and then in April 1922 it was formed as a composite regiment of four squadrons (whilst over cavalry regiments had two squadrons). There was a reduction of two Hotchkiss troops.
Second World War
During the Second World War, the Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards formed the Household Cavalry Composite Regiment. It remained mounted and formed part of the Garrison troops serving in Palestine until 1941 when it began undertaking operations and was mechanised by the First Battle of El Alamein in 1942; however, the use of Vickers machine guns on armoured cars and tanks had largely been phased out by this time.
- The National Archives, WO 163/63 Army Order 1922.