The Great War
The Welsh Guards consisted of Infantry Battalions that would have had an MG Section as part of its Battalion Headquarters. It was formed in 1915. These weapons would have been brigaded when the Machine Gun Corps was formed in 1915. The guns, and crews, would have been formed into a Machine Gun Company.
During the Great War, the dispositions of Battalions were as follows:
The 1st Battalion joined, from England on 20 August, 1915, the 3rd Guards Brigade, Guards Division. It’s MG Section was transferred between 01 September and 19 September, 1915, to form the 3rd Guards Bde. MG Coy.
The Inter-War Period
In 1922, the Guards MG Regiment were disbanded and the guns returned to the Infantry Battalion as a Machine Gun Platoon and then formed as a Machine Gun Company in the early 1930s.
The Second World War
This remained until the formation of Divisional Machine Gun Battalions in 1936 where guns were brigaded once again.
Post-Second World War
After the Second World War, the MG assets reverted to MG Platoons within support companies of Infantry Battalions.