A Machine Gun Company, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Brigade, until the formation of Canadian MG Battalions.
The 16th C.M.G. Coy. was the Divisional Reserve MG Company, 4th Canadian Infantry Division.
It was assembled on 18 January, 1917, at Floringhem, near Pernes-des-Artois. The personnel were drawn from the existing Machine Gun Companies, Infantry Battalions in the field, and the Depot.
After being relieved from the Lens-St. Emile and Hill 70 sectors of the line on the night of 28 March, it moved to Springvale Camp, near Ecurin. On 29 March, it was amalgamated with the 10th C.M.G. Company to form No. 1 Company, 4th Bn, C.M.G.C..