A Canadian Machine Gun Battalion, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Division (which were similar in organisation to the British Infantry Division prior to the 1918 reorganisation.
The 2nd Bn, C.M.G.C. was attached to the 2nd Canadian Division.
It was officially embodied on 23 March, 1918. It’s formation was from the following Machine Gun Companies.
|New Company||Formed from|
|No. 1 Company||5th C.M.G. Coy|
|14th C.M.G. Coy|
|No. 2 Company||4th C.M.G. Coy|
|6th C.M.G. Coy|
Due to the difficulties of reorganisation whilst in the line, the four companies operated independently until 07 April.
A third Company, No. 3 Company, was added on April 12th. It was formed by withdrawing 50 infantrymen from each Infantry Battalion of the Division and supplementing with experienced members of the Battalion and sending for training at the Depot.