A Machine Gun Company, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Brigade, until the formation of Canadian MG Battalions.
The 2nd C.M.G. Coy. was attached to the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Infantry Division.
It was mobilized on 01 January, 1916 near Ploegstreert. It was formed from the MG Sections of the Infantry Battalions of the Brigade.
On 27 March, 1918, it was amalgamated with the 3rd C.M.G. Company to form No. 1 Company, 1st Bn, C.M.G.C..