A Canadian Machine Gun Battalion, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Division (which were similar in organisation to the British Infantry Division prior to the 1918 reorganisation.
The 4th Bn, C.M.G.C. was attached to the 4th Canadian Division.
After being relieved from the Lens-St. Emile and Hill 70 sectors of the line on the night of 28 March, the companies moved to Springvale Camp, near Ecurin and the Battalion was formed here on 29 March. It’s formation was from the following Machine Gun Companies.
|New Company||Formed from|
|No. 1 Company||10th C.M.G. Coy|
|16th C.M.G. Coy|
|No. 2 Company||11th C.M.G. Coy|
|12th C.M.G. Coy|
A third Company, No. 3 Company, was added on April 12th. It was formed by withdrawing 50 infantrymen from each Infantry Battalion of the Division and supplementing with experienced members of the Battalion and sending for training at the Depot.