A Machine Gun Company, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Brigade, until the formation of Canadian MG Battalions.
The 8th C.M.G. Coy. was attached to the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.
It was organised, in the line, in March and April, 1916. It was formed from the MG Sections of the Infantry Battalions of the Brigade.
On 24 March, 1918, whilst still holding the Mericourt-Avion line, it was amalgamated with the 7th C.M.G. Company to form No. 1 Company, 3rd Bn, C.M.G.C..