Second World War
Machine Gun Battalion, 11th Sikh Regiment
Formed 15 January 1942 at Nowshera.
Nowshera Brigade – 15 January 1942 to January 1943
The battalion was organized with one-half Sikhs and one-half Punjabi Mussalmen when it was raised at Nowshera on January 15th, 1942. It was fully motorized by the end of 1942, but continued to train at Nowshera. During November and December, the battalion was attached to 7th Indian Infantry Division at Nowshera and Attock for further training.
7th Indian Infantry Division – January 1943 to September 1943
It left Nowshera in January 1943 and became fully integrated into the 7th Indian Infantry Division on moving to Chindwara with the division. It continued to train with the division at Chindwara. When the division moved to the Arakan in July 1943, it left the battalion behind since the battalion was in the process of converting from a M-G battalion into a support battalion.
151st Sub Area – September 1943 to July 1944
At the end of summer, it moved to Ranchi to train in its new role. It returned to the M-G role in July 1944 and soon after it left Ranchi for Nasik.
19th Indian Infantry Division – July 1944 to 31 August 1945
On arrival in Nasik in July 1944, it joined the 19th Indian Infantry Division. It moved to Moreh, Imphal on November 1st, 1944 with the division and served with the division in Burma until the end of the war. ‘A’ Company was sent to the 64th Indian Brigade at Sittaung and the rest of the battalion came under the 98th Indian Brigade at Thanan. The battalion (less ‘A’ Company) left Tonhe on December 16th and crossed the Chindwin and was located at Lobok by December 28th. It was under command of the 98th Brigade at Kanblu on January 2nd and then located at Kabwet from January 11th to February 2nd, 1945. The battalion then moved to Onbauk and ‘A’ Company returned from the 98th Brigade on February 6th at Kyaukmyaung. ‘B’ Company was also detached from January 8th to February 8th. The battalion helped extend the bridgehead and took Singuj by February 13th.
On March 3rd, the battalion was split among the brigades of the 19th Division with ‘A’ Company under the 98th Brigade, ‘B’ Company under the 62nd Brigade, ‘C’ Company under the 64th Brigade and ‘D’ Company under the divisional HQ. The division then advanced to Mandalay and the battalion was located at Meiktila on April 16th with ‘B’ Company under the 98th Brigade in the Thazi area. The battalion was at Toungoo on April 24th and operated in the Mawchi area from May 17th-28th. On June 1st, the battalion was deployed with the Battalion HQ under the 62nd Brigade at Pyonchaung, ‘A’ Company at MS15 Mawchi Road, ‘B’ Company (less one platoon) under the 8th Light Cavalry at MS211 on Rangoon Road, 1 platoon of ‘B’ Company at Toungoo railway station under the 33rd Anti-Regiment, RA, ‘C’ Company (less one platoon) under the 62nd Brigade at MS10 Mawchi Road, 1 platoon ‘C’ Company under the 64th Brigade in Kalaw area, and ‘D’ Company under the 62nd Brigade on the Mawchi Road. The battalion moved to Kywebwe on June 14th and then took over the Zeyawadi area south of Toungoo from July 23rd until the end of the war. ‘D’ Company was sent to Shwegyin on August 20th.
- National Army Museum. NAM. 1965-04-63-48 [online]. Available at: https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1965-04-63-48. Accessed: 24 May 2019.
- Ryan, David A. (2016). Machine Gun Battalions [online]. Available from: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/machine-gun-battalions.60788/page-2#post-704255. Accessed: 3 January 2017.