Second World War
Before being assigned to a Machine Gun Training Centre for their machine gunner specific training, the majority of men would have been through and infantry training facility, such as an Infantry Base Depot or a Primary Training Centre.
The Infantry Base Depot included an Instructional Wing that included a member of the Small Arms School Corps as well as a qualified machine gun instructor.
The Primary Training Company and Wing was where the soldiers undertook their initial training.
They were then sifted to one of the training centres for their particular specialism, including the Machine Gun Training Centre.
- V/692/1 18th June 1942 – Infantry Training Centre, Machine Gun Training Centre, Motor Training Battalion, Reconnaissance Training Centre, Headquarters of a Primary Training Centre.
- The National Archives, WO 24/943 War Establishments 1942 January to June.
- The National Archives, WO 24/944 War Establishments 1942 July to September.