The Great War
The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry initially comprised of four Squadrons and a MG Section. This would have initially included Maxim Machine Guns and it is likely that they would have remained as such until the MGs were centralised to the Machine Gun Corps.
While part of XV Corps Cavalry Regiment, the War Diary records that on 8 May 1916, that, while at HEILLY, the
“Machine Gun Section ceased to exist as a Unit. The guns and limbers were handed in and the personnel absorbed in the Squadron.”
It records that later in the month (21 May), training on Hotchkiss guns began as they were issued to the Squadron.
Two members of Richard Fisher’s family were in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry. Frederick ‘Fred’ (Great-Grandfather) and Edgar ‘Eddy’ (Great-Great-Uncle), brothers, joined the RWY in September 1914 and remained in 1/1st RWY until it was disbanded in 1917 and absorbed into the 6th Bn, Wiltshire Regiment to form the 6th (Wiltshire Yeomanry) Battalion.
On 21 March, 1918, Eddy was killed in action and Fred was captured. Fred was unaware that Eddy had been killed until he returned home at the end of the War. Eddy has no known grave and is remembered on the Arras Memorial.
Second World War
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- National Archives, WO 95/930/1, Corps Troops: Corps Cavalry ‘A’ and ‘B’ Squadrons South Irish Horse and Wiltshire Yeomanry.