As a country of the British Empire, Bermudians were part of the British Army and several units were formed from local soldiers for service at home. There was a garrison on the island that would have included a British Army infantry battalion.
Second World War
During the Second World War, the Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps was one of the locally-raised regiments for service in Bermuda as part of the islands defence. This Corps included a machine gun company alongside three rifle companies. The company consisted of four platoons and is likely to have been of the same establishment as the British 1931 machine gun company. Originally established in 1940, it changed slightly in 1942. Although the number of machine guns isn’t mentioned, it’s assumed that each platoon would contain four guns as in the British machine gun battalion.
- VI/1931/66/A1, 19 June 1940 – Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps
- IX/27/2, 25 February 1942 – Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps
In 1943, there was also the Bermuda Militia, which consisted of an artillery element, wearing the Royal Artillery cap badge, and an infantry element, wearing the General Service cap badge. In the infantry element there were six Vickers machine guns.
- The National Archives. WO 24/937 War Establishments 1940 Jan-Jul.
- The National Archives. WO 24/943 War Establishments 1942 Jan-Jun.
- The National Archives, WO 24/947 War Establishments 1943 Apr-Jun.