Second World War
Machine Gun Battalion, 14th Punjab Regiment
Formed 1 July 1942 at Ferozepore.
Lahore District – 1 July 1942 to January 1943
The battalion was raised at Ferozepore on July 1st, 1942. It was organized with ‘A’ (Pathan), ‘B’ (20% Jat/5% Sikh), ‘C’ (Punjabi Mussalman), and ‘D’ (5% Dogra/10% Ahir/10% Gujar) Companies. It became the 15th Battalion on August 1st, 1942.
100th Line of Communications Area – January 1943 to 1 March 1943
In January 1943 it moved to Asansol, Bihar from Ferozepore and mobilized under 100th LOC Area at Patna. It was on railway security duty in the Calcutta area on February 4th, 1943 and was mobilized on February 20th, 1943 and moved to Madras.
105th Line of Communications Area – 1 March 1943 to 12 August 1943
It arrived in Madras on March 1st, 1943.
106th Indian Training Brigade – 12 August 1943 to 31 August 1945
The battalion was to move to Burma on August 1st, 1943, but instead went to the 39th Indian Training Division at Saharanpur on August 12th. It converted to a training battalion on August 14th, 1943 and came under the command of the 106th Indian Training Brigade at Hardwar on September 23rd, 1943. It remained there until the end of the war.
- Ryan, David A. (2016). Machine Gun Battalions [online]. Available from: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/machine-gun-battalions.60788/page-2#post-704255. Accessed: 3 January 2017.