The 15th Hussars was a Cavalry Regiment
that would have had an MG Section
as part of its Regimental Headquarters.
Prior to the start of the Great War, Lieutenant B Osborne of the 15th Hussars was one of the first members of the British Army to attend, and qualify from, a Vickers Gun course run by the School of Musketry
at Hythe between 25 October and 15 November 1913.
It was reassembled from Divisional Squadrons on 14 April 1915 and joined 9th Cavalry Brigade.
As a unit of the 1st Cavalry Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|BATTLES OF YPRES
|09 to 13 May
||Battle of Frezenberg Ridge [Cav. Corps, until 12 May, then Cav. Force, Second Army].
||Battle of Bellewaarde Ridge [Cav. Corps, Second Army].
The MG Section was brigaded into the 9th Cavalry MG Squadron
on 28 February 1916.
In 1922, the Machine Gun Corps
was disbanded and the guns returned to the Cavalry Regiment as a Machine Gun Troop.
In April 1922, the 15th Hussars (two squadrons) was amalgamated with the 19th Hussars
(1 squadron) to form 15th/19th Hussars
- Becke, 1934
- School of Musketry, Register of the School of Musketry 1911 to 1924 (Hythe: Corps of Small Arms and Machine Gun Schools; 1924).
- The National Archives, WO 123/64 Army Orders 1922.