The Inter-War Period
Formed in April 1922 from the amalgamation of the 17th Lancers (two squadrons) and the 21st Lancers (one squadron) resulting in a two squadron Cavalry Regiment.
The Second World War
As a unit of the Royal Armoured Corps, it used the Vickers machine guns that equipped the light and medium tanks in the early stages of the War. When these were replaced, its association with the Vickers machine gun ceased.
Due to the poor availability of armoured vehicles and tanks at the start of the Second World War, some units were formed to create Motor Machine Gun Brigades. This unit joined the 1st MMG Bde on 30 May 1940 and remained with it under reorganised as the 26th Armoured Brigade on 12 October 1940.
- Joslen, 1960
- The National Archives. WO 123/64 Army Orders 1922.