The use of armoured cars, equipped with Maxim and Vickers machine guns, was pioneered by the Royal Naval Air Service and then the Armoured Motor Batteries of the Motor Machine Gun Corps.
In the 1920s, the Royal Tank Corps formed Armoured Car Companies as light reconnaissance and quick reaction units. They suited the imperial policing role that the British Army had during this period.
The 1927 establishment included a headquarters and four sections, each of four armoured cars.
The mechanisation of the Army also began during this period and this saw cavalry units dismounted and formed in the Cavalry Armoured Car Regiments, of a headquarters and three squadrons, each of two sections of five armoured cars.
- The National Archives, WO 24/932, War Establishments 1925-1931.