The Great War
The Inter-War Period
This period saw the mechanisation of the British Army and the increased use of armoured cars in companies and regiments.
The Second World War
The Arab Legion of Transjordan used Marmon-Harrington armoured cars within their Mechanized Regiment. Each car was equipped with one Vickers machine gun and 3,500 rounds of ammunition, as well as a light machine gun, Boys anti-tank rifle, machine carbine and signal pistol.
A copy of the training pamphlet for the Marmon-Harrington armoured car, including the use of the Vickers, is available here.
By the end of the Second World War, the armoured cars in British Service were equipped with Browning or Besa machine guns, with the occasional Vickers Gas-Operated machine gun fitted as an anti-aircraft light machine gun.
Post-Second World War
- The National Archives, WO 24/943, War Establishments 1942 January to June.