The Essex Yeomanry was a Territorial Cavalry Regiment that would have had an MG Section as part of its Regimental Headquarters. These weapons would have been brigaded when the Machine Gun Corps was formed in 1915. The guns, and crews, would have been formed into a Machine Gun Squadron.
The Essex Yeo. joined the 8th Cavalry Brigade from England on 11 December 1914.
As a unit of the 8th Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Cavalry Division, the MG Section will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|11 to 13 May||Battle of Frezenberg Ridge [Cav. Corps, until 12 May, then Cav. Force, Second Army].|
|26 to 28 September||Battle of Loos (Defence of Loos) [IV. Corps, First Army].|
The MG Section was brigaded into the 8th Cavalry MG Squadron on 29 February 1916.
In 1922, the Machine Gun Corps was disbanded and the guns returned to the Cavalry Regiment as a Machine Gun Platoon and then formed as a Machine Gun Squadron in the early 1930s.
This remained until the formation of Divisional Machine Gun Battalions in 1936 where guns were brigaded once again. As Cavalry regiments were largely mechanised, their use would have been as per the Royal Armoured Corps and Tank Regiment.