A Canadian Machine Gun Battalion, of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, was attached to each Canadian Infantry Division (which were similar in organisation to the British Infantry Division prior to the 1918 reorganisation.
The 1st Bn, C.M.G.C. was attached to the 1st Canadian Division.
It was officially embodied on 27 March, 1918 at Marqueffles Farm (between Bouvigny Village and Aix-Noulette). It’s formation was from the following Machine Gun Companies.
|New Company||Formed from|
|No. 1 Company||2nd C.M.G. Coy|
|3rd C.M.G. Coy|
|No. 2 Company||1st C.M.G. Coy|
|13th C.M.G. Coy|
A third Company, No. 3 Company, was added on April 12th. It was formed by withdrawing 50 infantrymen from each Infantry Battalion of the Division and supplementing with experienced members of the Battalion and sending for training at the Depot.