The Regiments of Foot Guards were outside of the requirement for establishing their machine gun sections as the Machine Gun Corps; however, they did form the Guards Machine Gun Battalion to consolidate their machine gun capability.
The Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed from units of the Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line. This took place on the 10th May 1918. The units transferred were:
|Battalion of G.M.G.R.||Original Unit|
|1st||1st Life Guards|
|2nd||2nd Life Guards|
|3rd||Royal Horse Guards|
|4th||1st Gds Bde MG Coy|
|2nd Gds Bde MG Coy|
|3rd Gds Bde MG Coy|
|4th Gds Bde MG Coy|
The Guards Machine Gun Regiment is commemorated alongside the other Regiments of Foot Guards on the Guards Memorial, Horse Guards Parade, London.