A Machine Gun Company of the Machine Gun Corps was attached to each Infantry Brigade and their subsequent Division. An additional Company was attached as a divisional reserve.
|Brigade attached to:||Divisional Reserve|
|Division attached to:||12th (Eastern) Division|
The 198th M.G. Coy. was formed at Grantham then disembarked at Le Havre on 15 December, 1916. It joined the 12th (Eastern) Division at Liencourt on 20 December, 1916.
On 19 February 1917, it left 12th (Eastern) Division to join the 174th Brigade, 58th Division, near Arras on 21 February 1917.