A Machine Gun Company of the Machine Gun Corps was attached to each Infantry Brigade and their subsequent Division. An additional Company was attached as a divisional reserve.
|Brigade attached to:||Divisional Reserve|
|Division attached to:||7th Division|
The 220th M.G. Coy. was formed on the 25 March 1917.
As a unit of the 7th Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|14 March to 05 April||German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line [V. Corps, Fifth Army].|
|03 to 16 May||Battle of Bullecourt [V. Corps, Fifth Army].|
|BATTLES OF YPRES|
|01 to 03 October||Battle of Polygon Wood [X. Corps, Second Army].|
|04 October||Battle of Broodseinde [X. Corps, Second Army].|
|09 October||Battle of Poelcappelle [X. Corps, Second Army].|
On the 10th November the decision was warned that it would be moved to Italy. Entrainment began on the 17th November, and by the 28th detrainment was virtually completed in the neighbourhood of Legnano (on the Adige). The 7th Division then advanced to the Piave Front and became reserve to the XIV. Corps.
On the 19th January the 7th Division took over the right sector of the XIV. Corps front on the Piave, and remained in the line until, on the 23rd February, orders were received that the division was to return to France. On the 4th March the move to France was cancelled, and between the 22nd and 31st March the division took over the left divisional front of the XIV. Corps on the Asiago Plateau.
On 1 April 1918, it was amalgamated with the 20th, 22nd and 91st Machine Gun Companies to form No. 7 Battalion, Machine Gun Corps.