A Machine Gun Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps was attached to each Infantry Division and was formed of four MG Companies.

The 8th Bn, MGC was formed on 20 April 1918.

Division attached to:8th Division
Formed from the:23rd Machine Gun Company
24th Machine Gun Company
25th Machine Gun Company
218th Machine Gun Company

As a unit of the 8th Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.

1918
24 and 25 AprilVillers Bretonneux [III. Corps, Fourth Army].
27 May to 06 JuneBattle of the Aisne [IX. Corps, Sixth (French) Army].
THE ADVANCE TO VICTORY
SECOND BATTLES OF ARRAS
26 to 30 AugustBattle of the Scarpe [VIII. Corps, First Army].
THE FINAL ADVANCE IN ARTOIS
07 and 08 OctoberForcing the Rouvroy-Fresnes Line [VIII. Corps, First Army].
17 OctoberCapture of Douai [VIII. Corps, First Army].

By 11 a.m. on the 11th November, the 8th Division (the right division of the VIII. Corps) had reached a line 3 – 4 miles to the N.N.E. of Mons. On the 15th November, the 8th Division was relieved by the 52nd Division on the Armistice Line; and on the 16th the 8th Division (now transferred to the III. Corps, Second Army) moved back to Tournai. Here, on the 7th December, the division (now in the Fifth Army) was visited by H.M. the King. The division advanced into the Ath-Enghien area, completing the move by the 18th December. Here demobilisation was finally carried out and the division passed out of existence on the 20th March, 1919.


Sources