A Machine Gun Company of the Machine Gun Corps was attached to each Infantry Brigade and their subsequent Division. An additional Company was attached as a divisional reserve.

Brigade attached to:Divisional Reserve
Division attached to:1st Division

The 216th M.G. Coy. was formed on the 22 March 1917.

As a unit of the 1st Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.

1917
21 June to 20 OctoberOperations on the Flanders Coast
10 JulyDefence of Nieuport [XV Corps, Fourth Army]
BATTLE OF YPRES
5 to 10 NovemberSecond Battle of Passchendaele [II Corps, Second Army]

On 28 February 1918, it was amalgamated with the 1st2nd and 3rd Machine Gun Companies to form No. 1 Battalion, Machine Gun Corps.


Sources

Leave a Reply