A Machine Gun Company was attached to each Infantry Brigade and their subsequent Division.
|Brigade attached to:||Divisional Reserve|
|Division attached to:||14th (Light) Division|
18th (Indian) Division
The 249th M.G. Coy. left Grantham on 16 July, 1917, disembarked at Le Havre on 17 July 1917. It joined the 14th (Light) Division at Westoutre on 21 July 1917.
As a unit of the 14th (Light) Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|BATTLES OF YPRES|
|18 August||Battle of Langemarck [II Corps, Fifth Army].|
|22 to 26 August||Fighting on the Marne [II Corps, Fifth Army].|
The Company left the 14th (Light) Division on 04 October 1917 (it was replaced by 224th MG Company). It reached Marseille on 15 October 1917. It arrived in Mesopotamia on 13 November 1917 and joined 18th (Indian) Division on 05 February 1918.