A Machine Gun Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps was attached to each Infantry Division and was formed of four MG Companies.
The 12th Bn, MGC was formed on 1 March 1918.
|Division attached to:||12th (Eastern) Division|
|Formed from the:||35th Machine Gun Company – becoming A Company|
36th Machine Gun Company – becoming B Company
37th Machine Gun Company – becoming C Company
235th Machine Gun Company – becoming D Company
As a unit of the 12th (Eastern) Infantry Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|FIRST BATTLES OF THE SOMME|
|25 March||First Battle of Bapaume [VII Corps, Third Army]. (On arrival at Senlis in the morning of 25 March, 1918, the 25th Division came under VII Corps; but between 8.20pm and 11.35pm on the 25th the 12th Division was transferred to V Corps.)|
|28 March||Battle of Arras [V Corps, Third Army].|
|05 April||Battle of the Ancre [V Corps, Third Army].|
|THE ADVANCE TO VICTORY|
|08 to 11 August||Battle of Amiens [III Corps, Fourth Army].|
|SECOND BATTLES OF THE SOMME|
|22 and 23 August||Battle of Albert [III Corps, Fourth Army].|
|BATTLES OF THE HINDENBURG LINE|
|18 September||Battle of Epehy [III Corps, Fourth Army].|
|29 and 30 September||Battle of the St. Quentin Canal [III Corps, Fourth Army].|
|06 to 29 October||THE FINAL ADVANCE IN ARTOIS AND FLANDERS [VIII Corps, First Army].|
On the 28th October the 36th Brigade established a post on the right bank of the Schelde to the east of Chateau l’Abbaye (N.W. of Conde), and this was the last active operation to be performed by the 12th Division in the Great War. On the 29th October the Division was relieved in the front line and it moved back to rest and train. On the 9th November the 12th Division was quartered in the area Nivelle-Landas-Rumegies, with divisional headquarters centrally placed at Sameon, and it was still in this area when the Armistice came into force two days later.
Between the 25th and 27th November the Division moved to the Auberichicourt area (east of Douai) and was emploed on salvage work and training. On the 12th December the first party of coalminers left and thenceforward demobilization proceeded steadily. On the 3rd February 1919, H.R.H. the Prince of Wales arrived at divisional headquarters at Masny; he spent the next two days with the Division and presented colours to the infantry service battalions. Demobilization proceeded with increasing speed and gradually the Division dwindled. On the 17th March the G.O.C. left, and on the 22nd March the 12th Division ceased to exist and the residue was thereafter designated 12th Division Brigade Group. (On 27 June 1919 the 12th Division Brigade Group disappeared at Dunkirk.)
During its war service in the Great War the 12th (Eastern) Division gained 6 Victoria Crosses and 3,053 other honours, and the Division lost 41,363 killed, wounded, and missing.